Glorious Rain

Woke up this morning to rain, wonderful rain. We so needed it, hopefully it will rain all day.

Not able to leave spinning wheel alone broke out another bag (150 g) of wool and nylon from Smith and Ewe, in Sweet Violets colour. I thought I might be able to leave wheel alone until part two of the T d F starts  later in August but that wasn't to be.

I finished yesterday morning the mix of merino-silk (70 - 30), have enuff of some of the colours to do something else in the future. I spin a lot of yarn with no firm idea of what I will use it for but this wool-silk mix will be made into winter socks for me and maybe a couple of others. First pix is the fibre laid out ready to spin, started from left side and stayed with the same order thru both bobbins. Not much idea of what plied yarn will look like but however it will be soft and warm. After last winters stretch of almost 40 below zero (and only one pr of handspun socks) knew that before winter dropped again that I would have more.


Not much else new and exciting in my wild mountain valley this time of year. Haven't seen a bear since the last of June (altho see purple poops on my driveway), deer are everywhere, yesterday two does with 5 fawns between them.

Comments

  1. Those bobbins are lovely, and will make some wonderful socks. I am so glad that you have rain. Since reading about fires in BC I have been worried about you. Do not want a repeat of last year! It is a gloomy, rainy day here in North Carolina today. We have been blessed with enough rain this summer to keep things green and growing (my yard, for instance), so I never complain when we have a day like this. Take care of yourself and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm love the Sweet Violets fibre!!! I think that's one of my favorite colorways. All winter with only one pair of socks??? How awful. Hand knit, hand spun socks are a staple in the winter!!! Good luck to you in the rain - we got some of it too here on the coast & the air smells so much better. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one pair of hand spun, 20+ pair commercial sock yarn socks. Just need extra warmth for when it’s -40.

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Sweet Violets spin up. So pretty.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More socks

Friday Jan. 5

Grizzlies